ch-scene - Save the screen, ditch the guns

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: brussell AT ibiblio.org
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Save the screen, ditch the guns
  • Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 16:18:44 -0400 (EDT)

Printed in this weeks Indy.

Save the screen, ditch the guns
I love movies. I go to two or three a week when I can. The venues that
show them can be even more interesting. The one and two screen theaters
always make a movie experience better. But sitting outside in your car or
truck watching images fly by on a giant screen is the ultimate fun way to
do it.

With this spirt in mind I would like to ask the Durham community, in which
I've lived and presently work in, to ask the owner of the Starlite to stop
selling guns and ammunition when he reopens.

Right now several very hardworking and community minded people are raising
funds to bring back the Starlite after a tragic fire destroyed it's screen
("Scan," Sept. 8). When people give time and money to such a fine cause,
they become partners in the cause's future. I don't believe their
generosity is intended to support the sale of guns.

Unfortunately a 10-year-old assault weapons ban is being allowed to lapse
as I write this. We have enough problems with gun violence in the Triangle
without a fundraiser for a gun store. The two shooting deaths in an N.C.
State parking lot recently are a sad reminder of the effects of guns,
legal or illegal.

I hope everyone, especially those about to give to the Starlite, will
think about how your giving can help support a community business and
prevent needless death.
Brian Russell
Chapel Hill

<http://indyweek.com/durham/current/backtalk.html>