ch-scene - Stuff to do, Week of September 9, 2004

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Stuff to do, Week of September 9, 2004
  • Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2004 23:12:05 -0400

I'm going to California for a wee bit, so if this is extra-skimpy, it's cuz I won't be around so I'm not exactly dedicated to writing fancy blurbs. Plus I still haven't packed yet. Watch for all of next week's shows in a 2nd email before Friday, I reckon:

Thursday, September 9
David Spencer Band, $2 Pistols, Cub Country
[http://www.jadetree.com/bandpages/bio_cubcountry.html], Chicken Wire
Gang [http://www.chickenwiregang.com]
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

This is a benefit for Carrboro's new community LPFM radio station,
WCOM (dang, was WCBO already taken? No! There's no WCBO! What are they
thinking, that they're the only Community Radio Station east of the
Mississippi? Actually, given their website address,
[http://www.communityradio.coop] communityradio.coop, maybe that's
exactly what they're thinking . . .), broadcasting at 103.5 to most of
downtown Carrboro & surrounding neighborhoods. Also on the show but
not listed in the headline above: Gonzo Guitars featuring: Armand
Lenchek, Will McFarlane, Danny Gotham, Tommy Hartley, Jason Barker

Thursday, September 9
The Port Huron Statement [http://www.porthuronstatement.com/], Maple
Stave [http://www.maplestave.com], The People Under the Bridge
Kings, Raleigh

Friday, September 10
Patty Hurst Shifter [http://www.pattyhurstshifter.com], Lamont Skylark
[http://www.lamontskylark.com/], The Films
Martin Street Music Hall, Raleigh

Friday, September 10
Nebula [http://www.subpop.com/bands/nebula/charged/], The Needles
[http://www.moonrockneedles.com/], Agony Way
Kings, Raleigh

Saturday, September 11
The Backwards [http://www.thebackwards.sk/]
Kings, Raleigh

Beatles "tribute" band from Slovakia. Really. I like the "Ringo"
especially. Two shows: 8 p.m. is non-smoking (bring the kids!) and 11
p.m. is, um, smoking.

Saturday, September 11
Gerty [http://www.gerty.org], Cantwell, Gomez, Jordan
[http://www.cantwellgomezandjordan.com], Audubon Park
[http://audubonpark.blogspot.com]
Ooh La Latte, Durham

The third in a series of benefits for the fabulous
[http://www.msfilms.org] Ms.Films Festival. Here's the lowdown from
the always lovely-and-talented Dave Cantwell (p.s. in advance: he's so
totally right about Audubon Park):

OOH LA LATTE=New-ish club in Durham run by the Untidy Museum people (I
think). Coffee bar by day, increasingly loud rock bar by nite.
Please patronize (an opprotunity for all those "Durham pride" people
to put their monies where their mouths are)!!

CHICKS ROCK #3=The third installment in a series of rockshows
featuring bands that are made up of women, have women in them, or are
symapthetic to women. Or that women might like. The series benefits
Ms. Films ("Movies by independent women"), who have a website:
msfilms.org.

GERTY=Keyboard powerpop to WEAR OUT yr stupid fashionable dancing
shoes. Wear something durable and ugly.

CANTWELLGOMEZ&JORDAN=Is now a full-blown cover band: playing yr
romatic requests tonight. Please tip yr bartender...

AUDUBON PARK=Sort of like the orchestra that backed up Seals&Croft on
their 1974 tour--but with more rocking and "fangs" by about 15%.
(That's a joke, son; AP has released two of the most crucial,
wonderful [especially the 2nd one] EPs in recent local music-ness. PS:
they're a boy band.)

Saturday, September 11
Countdown Quartet [http://www.countdownq.com/]
Martin Street Music Hall, Raleigh

Saturday, September 11
North Elementary [http://www.northelementary.com], Mendoza Line
[http://www.mendozaline.com/], Transportation
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Sunday, September 12
The Feebles [http://duckkee.home.mindspring.com/feebles.htm], Regina
Hexaphone [http://www.reginahexaphone.com]
Kings, Raleigh

This is the [5pm] matinee show.

Sunday, September 12
Natural History, The Nein [http://www.thenein.com/], Bitter Bitter
Weeks [http://www.bitterbitterweeks.com/]
Local 506, Chapel Hill

--------> http://www.trianglerock.com <--------

  • Stuff to do, Week of September 9, 2004, grady, 09/08/2004