ch-scene - Durham Fun

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Rawls <jcmidrange AT yahoo.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Durham Fun
  • Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 12:50:51 -0700 (PDT)

Though I'd been to Oh La Latte on one
un-airconditioned day last month, Jett Rink Saturday
night was the first show I'd seen there. I give it a
thumbs up. Seeing as how I was born across the street
at the old Watts Hospital and was hanging out at my
grandmother's house mere blocks away prior to the
show, I say this with nothing but Bull City Pride:
I've never seen such an assemblage of fuckin' freaks!
I don't know where these people came from (maybe they
just have better taste than I do and only go to see
good bands) but the place was packed...and it's a
rather large venue. A lot of younger folks were there
which is good, a music scene needs fresh blood to stay
alive (Raleigh could use a lot).

One recommendation I would make: find a more
organized way to run cables from the stage to the
soundboard, it was kind of messy up there and then you
factor in Viva doing his thing along with cake being
distributed....

I certainly hope this place doesn't drop the ball
like the Basement or Ringside...as time goes on I get
more and more annoyed about having to buy a Ringside
membership two years ago. The times I've been back
since, they could care less if I have a membership.
When I've shown it to the door guy it gets looked at
like an odd thrift store find, "um...okay that's cool
you have one of those...".

Rawls