ch-scene - Re: Enon at Durfest

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Enon at Durfest
  • Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2004 10:27:41 -0400

"In addition to showcasing independent local and regional talent, this year's Durham Music Festival will feature record label showcases."

Looks to me to be yr standard mission-creep, which is OK, I guess--you make a music festival, you can invite whomever you want. Not sure what the rationale is -- are there really indie-rockers in the Triangle who were planning on skipping the festival until they saw that Windsor for the Derby were playing, and now they're lining up for tix? Unlikely.

On the other hand, that's still probably the basic idea--not just Windsor for the Derby per se, but all the various out-of-town bands (and "label showcases") working to generate slightly more coverage/buzz (see also: this thread) and thus lure more people to the fest, where presumably the idea is that they'll be knocked on their asses by the wealth of local talent and become local-music fans forever as a result. Assuming people are encouraged to check out the local bands *and* are able to differentiate between the locals & non-locals.

Philosophically it's only problematic in the sense that there are non-Durham bands on the list but there are Durham bands who *aren't* on the list, including Spacelab, Torch Marauder, Hotel/Motel & probably a shitload of others whom I can't name at present. But that could just be because they're gonna be busy that weekend.

Ross

Fikri Yucel wrote:
Enon are on Touch & Go Records (out of Chicago). As
far as I can tell, their roots and recordings are all
out of the midwest and New York (ex-Brainiac,
ex-Skeleton Key, ex-Blonde Redhead--now that's some
kind of pedigree). The Durham connection is a
mystery. They do seem to like playing the Triangle
area a lot though--sometimes they hit the area twice
on the same tour. I am rather fond of them myself (in
case you couldn't tell).
Still no solution to the mystery, though. The Durham
Music Festival website says it will be "showcasing
independent local and regional talent." But it's a
bit of a stretch to call Enon "regional." Still gotta
wonder if there's more of a connection...

-Fikri

--- Agent Starchild <starchild AT mutualaid.org> wrote:

I'm not sure what Enon's ties are but they're one of
my favorite
bands. I'm excited they'll be there. They must be
on Merge Records
or something. I'd forgotten what their label was.
-- ch-scene: the list that mirrors
alt.music.chapel-hill --