ch-scene - Re: Hi all

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Chris Calloway <ifoufo AT yahoo.com>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Hi all
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 18:04:58 -0700 (PDT)

--- Amy Leigh <amy.leigh AT duke.edu> wrote:
> We
> missed you at the
> wedding,

dang right we did. your name placard was on the place
setting next to mine at the post-ceremony dinner and
you never showed. i was all like excited and, dude, i
get to sit next to someone who's actually seen earl
wells. but no. you never showed up. so i helped myself
to your bufula and wild tomato napoleon. hah! we all
got cd door prizes, too, of kurt's way amazing home
recording. nyah-nyah.

i read mckriple's latest tome during my beach vacation
last week. it was pretty funny in an amos 'n' andy
kinda way. some recent and possibly right wing funded
study claims african-americans who are not descended
from slaves were the primary beneficiaries of now gone
social programs designed to benefit the descendents of
slaves. idunno, but this book says pretty much the
same thing without intending, just 82 years ago on the
fringe of the harlem renaissance. everything went in
the shitter anyway when mali boycotted algeria at the
5th panafrican congress of 1946.

i wish i'd knowed your were out in seattle. i was out
there just a few weeks ago at uwash apl. here's pics
from mt. ranier (118 inches of snow at our final
destination):

http://www.unc.edu/~cbcoasis/mtrainier/

the sunset tavern in ballard was a place. mark arm was
taking time off from playing brother john sinclair in
order to judge a shittiest band contest. the butchies
were there the week before i arrived. there was some
band out there called the pink slips playing the
place. there's a band here with the same name. unless
they're the same band. that kinda stuff can happen
over and over, ya know.

that paul allen fucker is not funny. he made me pay
$19 to see a sleater-kinney album cover under glass.
do not go there! but all the cheap viet/thai/indian
places around uwash were my undoing. i even said yum
in a couple of vegan places. this place called the
cedars had chimay blue and duvel and lebanese food
cooked by indians. sick! it was a long wait just to
get in the door.

hope your lindy hoppin' self is doing well. everybody
here is hopped up on that fahrenheit 911 dope when
they should be lighting up the weatherman docu-thing
what lost out to michael moore on the red carpet. "all
energy wasted on half measures strengthens the
tyrannical grip to the old regime."

and fuck ross grady just because he'd say he'd like
it.

3