ch-scene - Re: No Canucks, s'il vous plait!

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "Heather N. Ramsey" <hnramsey AT yahoo.com>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: No Canucks, s'il vous plait!
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 09:03:08 -0700 (PDT)

i think that the canadian government considers raffles/contests "gambling"
and because they don't want to promote gambling, they make their residents
answer a math question in the event of a win...it's usually a simple math
question like 5*12-10=? no calculus or anything...

Jamie McLendon <domcasualties AT yahoo.com> wrote:
I came across something most interesting last night. I was ordering a
dvd off of bestbuy.com, and they had a promotion wherein a customer
could win $25 for taking a survey about their online shopping
experience. I figured that I would do it, and the survey took about 2
minutes, tops.

The giveaway part of the promotion was sponsored by BizRate.com and
called the "Daily Cash Prize" Sweepstakes. Basically, the customer's
information went into a database from which one winner was drawn daily
for the $25. The first rule explained that the sweepstakes was "open
only to legal residents of the United States (excluding Puerto Rico)
and legal residents of Canada (excluding Quebec)." That's common
enough, however, when I got to rule 4, things got wacky:

"If a Canadian resident wins a prize, that person must also answer
correctly within a 5 minute time period a mathematical skill-testing
question without the benefit of any human, mechanical or electronic
calculating devices before the prize will be awarded."

Hello? Canadians have to pass a math quiz before claiming their money
in a drawing? What the hell?

"families is where our nation finds hope, where wings take dream." george w.
bush

exactly how do wings take dream?