ch-scene - Re: No Canucks, s'il vous plait!

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Bo Williams <bo AT mrboboto.com>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: No Canucks, s'il vous plait!
  • Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2004 12:01:11 -0400

Sounds like they're exploiting a legal loophole to make the contest a "test of skill" as opposed to a "game of chance".

Jamie McLendon wrote:

I came across something most interesting last night. I was ordering a
dvd off of bestbuy.com, and they had a promotion wherein a customer
could win $25 for taking a survey about their online shopping
experience. I figured that I would do it, and the survey took about 2
minutes, tops.

The giveaway part of the promotion was sponsored by BizRate.com and
called the "Daily Cash Prize" Sweepstakes. Basically, the customer's
information went into a database from which one winner was drawn daily
for the $25. The first rule explained that the sweepstakes was "open
only to legal residents of the United States (excluding Puerto Rico)
and legal residents of Canada (excluding Quebec)." That's common
enough, however, when I got to rule 4, things got wacky:

"If a Canadian resident wins a prize, that person must also answer
correctly within a 5 minute time period a mathematical skill-testing
question without the benefit of any human, mechanical or electronic
calculating devices before the prize will be awarded."

Hello? Canadians have to pass a math quiz before claiming their money
in a drawing? What the hell?