ch-scene - Re: These pants are too tight, and I'm in a bad mood..com'on tell me about improv?

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: philipayers AT yahoo.com (My friend Phil said,)
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: These pants are too tight, and I'm in a bad mood..com'on tell me about improv?
  • Date: 3 Jun 2004 19:25:53 -0700

Kevin-
I guess what you'r saying is something like FNYSNL?.. But you'r
description makes me want to join in the fun.

kdarbro AT nc.rr.com wrote in message
news:<16f227016f48fc.16f48fc16f2270 AT southeast.rr.com>...
> >From what I know:
>
> ComedySports in Raleigh is a group of people that do improv regularly, and
> have their own club on Peace St. in Raleigh, I believe. Right around
> Glenwood.
>
> I haven't seen them for many years, but worked with a geeky kid who
I believe is still a member of the group. He was a super nice,
non-pretentious guy. Their 'thing' is to divide up into two teams of
four or so, like a red team and a blue team, and then suggestions are
given to them, probably from the audience, for them to act out. It's
staged as a competitive event, and I believe some scoring is involved,
but as in the "Who's Line is it Anyway" kind of way, I think it is
arbitrary. I'm pretty sure they keep their stuff family friendly, but
don't know these days.

> They used to have a ComedySports group in Chapel Hill years ago as
well, and they performed at the Omni, which is now a Sheraton I
believe. They would hold open audition/workshops, and I'm not quite
sure, but I think that once you joined the group, you had to pay to be
a member. I went to a couple of the workshops back in the day, as I
have a minor in theatre, and actually "studied" improv, if there is
such a thing, so I thought I'd continue with it when I moved down in
'92.

> My impressions back then were that I wasn't that impressed. It
seemed cheesy, but keep in mind, this was in the days before "Line"
became popular in the States. Also, the group was comprised of
members of the general public trying out improv, as well as seasoned
ComedySports members, so I may be unfairly remembering the quality of
the improv. I was asked to come and watch them do their thing at the
bar in the Omni one night to see if I was interested in possibly
working with them (they were extremely nice people), and I saw a show,
and determined it wasn't for me. It may be completely different now,
and I encourage you to check out one of their shows in Raleigh some
weekend and see for yourself. I'll do the same sometime, I suppose.

> In Chapel Hill, there's the Transactors, a group of really talented
people headed by Greg Hohn. I've not seen them live, but have heard
only amazing praise about them, and I've worked with Greg on a show
before, so I know that he's got great abilities as an actor, both
improv, and otherwise. A lot of actor's actors have worked with the
Transactors over the years, and my feeling that their shows are much
more professional than ComedySports, but again, that's only from
knowing some people in their ranks, and comparing that with my
ComedySports experiences.

> There used to be a theatre group called "The Somnambulist Project"
that sometimes integrated improv into their original productions, and
one particular production, "The Inferno Project" was constructed
pretty much entirely from improv based on themes of pain, and
suffering. I was a part of it, and can only describe it as a
beautiful failure. Another production, "The Serpent", began with
improvised gutteral and primordial grunts and the like to represent
the garden of eden, while I improvised the soundtrack on guitar. I
miss those days!