ch-scene - Re: ogg moving up in the austin dance contest

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "Jason M. Sullivan" <jason AT krazykat.nc.rr.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: ogg moving up in the austin dance contest
  • Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2004 13:57:40 GMT

In article <i4cvc.94$2o2.87661 AT twister.southeast.rr.com>, Tim Harper wrote:

> "Ron Thigpen" <rthigpen AT nc.rr.com> wrote in message
> 40BCE512.4050001 AT nc.rr.com">news:40BCE512.4050001 AT nc.rr.com...
>>
>> of course, now the world has spun around a few times and more of us are
>> encoding to 192 VBR and greater. it's fantastic to see vorbis having
>> come so far. now if we only had portable player support (or good grey
>> firmware to flash an iPod).

Ross already mentioned the Neuros (which I have and love, there's almost
enough people in the Triangle to start a users group). There's also the
Rio Karma, which looks much cooler and is significantly smaller.
Additionally, there's good grey firmware for one or two iRiver players.

Apple has yet to annouce and ogg related firmware for the iPod (because,
apparently, they're total bastards), but you can load Linux on the iPod, so
presumably there's a route for you (if you're into pain and suffering).

> not to mention multi-channel without the licensing fees.
> OGG . . . Vorbis that is. Soon to be on a DVD chipset near you.
> DVD-A is such a scam.
> Tim

Simply a matter of adoption. Ogg Vorbis already does multi-channel. Vote
with the pocketbook!

--
//// Jason M. SULLIVAN jsullivan AT nc.rr.com
|c-oo http://www.jason0x21.org
\_- "That's not music, that's just sound!" - J. David Fries