ch-scene - Re: WXYC Reception

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Jeffrey Herrick <jherrick AT duke.edu>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: WXYC Reception
  • Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 19:04:57 -0400 (EDT)

I can't tell you why xyc comes in so good there,
but radio signals have a funny way of bouncing around. The reception
might change during different times of the day and in different weather. I
DJ at xdu and the summer months are hell on our signal especially in the
morning with temperature inversions setting up in the early morning. Also
our tower in a section of Duke Forest in Hillsborough. I think atmospere
around the tower is altered by the forest and is more prone
to temperature inversions. (I'm not a meteorolgist though). Anyway, bare
with us through the summer months..

xyc has sweet tower placement right on top of the water tower near the UNC
Emergency room. Thats why they can do so much with 400 watts. Its not
just the size, but where you put it.

Meanwhile 'KNC has 15000 watts. Goddamn lucky bastards. It is luck or a
lot of forsight decades ago. No lower signals for them to interfere with.

Jeff