ch-scene - Re: In Search of Fuzzy Things

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Chris Rossi <rossi AT webslingerZ.com>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: In Search of Fuzzy Things
  • Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2004 22:59:49 -0500

This won't do much for bass. The more bass reflections you have the more wave cancellations you get--ie spots in your room where there's no bass. Your room will sound even better if you build some full spectrum absorbers:

http://www.ethanwiner.com/basstrap.html

i ended up not following this design precisely, but built some frames out of 1"x4" boards for 2'x4' sheets of 2" thick fiberglass. covered with burlap. more work but also sounds way better.

rossi

sorren AT mindspring.com wrote:
Hey, Dudes and Dude-ettes,
My bandmates and I are practicing in a new space, it's a small room in garage and very bouncy sound-wise. I am trying to collect materials to absorb excess sound waves that won't be too awful to look at (ergo eggcrate foam is sorta out) because the room is so frigging small that it won't be easy to ignore whatever I end up with. I got the idea of using a ton of white and off-white sweaters just all piled on top of each other. So now I set out to collect them. Even a few sweaters will get me on my way :)
This would be a great thing to do with those stained ones or ones which are all stretched out or shrunken. Lemme know if you have some, and feel free to ask your friends if they have some too. Email me back and I can come pick them up, or you can bring them to a central location where I can meet you.
Sakura_San