ch-scene - Re: grey tuesday - an online protest

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Six Seven <sixseven AT yesh.com>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: grey tuesday - an online protest
  • Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 10:11:00 -0500

True...artists should collaborate. But do Paul and Ringo own the rights to the White Album? If it's still in Apple Records hands...they may.
?

As a side note....i believe the grey album is good advertisement for the White Album. I hadn't listened to it in years and now I want it on CD. [it is my favorite Beatles album] Same for Jay-Z's Black album.
-Brian

Personally I think they should ask Paul & Ringo to decide.

Brian Russell wrote:

www.greytuesday.org

From the above website:

It's time for music fans to stand up and demand change from the music
industry's copyright cartel.

Tuesday, February 24 will be a day of coordinated civil disobedience:
websites will post Danger Mouse's Grey Album on their site for 24 hours
in protest of EMI's attempts to censor this work.

DJ Danger Mouse created a remix of Jay-Z's the Black Album and the
Beatles White Album, and called it the Grey Album. Jay-Z's record
label, Roc-A-Fella, released an a capella version of his Black Album
specifically to encourage remixes like this one. But despite praise
from music fans and major media outlets like Rolling Stone ("an
ingenious hip-hop record that sounds oddly ahead of its time") and the
Boston Globe (which called it the "most creatively captivating" album
of the year), EMI has sent cease and desist letters demanding that
stores destroy their copies of the album and websites remove them from
their site. EMI claims copyright control of the Beatles 1968 White
Album.

Jenn Halter
Assistant to the Academic Deans

UNC College of Arts and Sciences
CB 3100, 205 South Building
Chapel Hill, NC 27599-3100

phone: (919) 962-1165
fax: (919) 962-2408

  • Re: grey tuesday - an online protest, Six Seven, 03/01/2004