ch-scene - Mike Triplett Update

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Ben Davis <ben_dontspamme_davis AT unc.edu>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Mike Triplett Update
  • Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 18:38:14 -0500

Hello
As many of you have heard - Michael Tripplet is in the UNC hospital
right now. I have recieved many calls and emails asking about how is
he doing - I just left his room today (Monday , Feb 23rd) at 5 pm so I
wanted to let folks know was was going on and how is doing as of now.

Mike went to the hospital Feb 11 with a high fever and pain - He was
diagnosed with Spinal Meningitis. He spent the next week suffering
through high fevers and intense pain. The doctors then diagnosed
Pneumonia in addition. So his body was battling both of those things
plus dealing with the antibiotics and pain medications they were using
to treat him - On Friday Feb 20th, he started suffering some
complications from these factors - his fever came back and they had to
put him on a respirator to get his breathing going. He suffering a tear
in hisesophagus from either vomitting or the intabation of the
respirator so the doctors were very concerned - He was moved to the
CCUon Saturday - which is called the Coronary Care Unit to monitor him.
The doctors were giving him a 50/50 chance to survive. This (Monday
Feb 23rd) morning he was moved to the Respiratory Intesive Care Unit to
monitor him and keep an eye on the esophagus tear and his lungs. The
tear seems to be healing on his own, and he is doing better today. The
are trying to wean him of the oxygen and the respirator gradually. He
is not conscious but he is not in a coma. He hasn't been able to eat
since Feb 10th but they are pumping fluids and antibiotics through him.
It has been a trying rollercoaster for Mikes friends and family.

The doctors are still unable to give a cause for why things have been so
intensely bad for him and are still working on figuring that out. They
do not know how or where he contracted the bacteria from. They are
really taking things hour by hour at this point but his mom was
optimistic today. She is a head trauma nurse in Florida so she has been
by his side this entire time keeping the doctors in line.

So Mikes mom and friends appreciate all the calls and emails which have
been passed along to her and to Mike. and They ask for continued support
through prayers, thoughts, or various hippie techniques. Get your
parents prayer groups going!

We are going to try and post updates to a page on the Lovitt Records
website as we get them to try and keep people in the loop as much as
possible. the URL for that will

http://www.lovitt.com/triplett.html

We will post updates as frequently as we get them and as things change.

Mike's Mom has requested that people refrain from sending flowers right
now - and we plan to establish a fund to contribute to the medical bills
that are stacking up. Donations can be made at Go! Room 4 and we will
establish a route through PayPal for online contributions.

Mike has really touched so many people in this area and the music
community nationwide. The calls and emails have been pouring in - So
thanks and keep the positive thoughts up.

Feel free to email me with questions - I don't know much more than what
I have written. Mikes roomates and coworkers have been amazing
throughout all of this helping Mike and his mom. and so I'm sure they
could all use a hug too if you see them around.

Thanks
Ben Davis
bendavis AT lovitt.com