ch-scene - JOE AND JOES OPEN MIC LAUGHABLE!!

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: nance <nance AT mail.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: JOE AND JOES OPEN MIC LAUGHABLE!!
  • Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2004 18:12:10 GMT

I attended the open mic last night at Joe an Jo's in Durham.
There were several people there, I think 15-20 on the list. Not
bad for a Saturday open mic, as well as being Valentine's Day.
The hosting was rather odd. It seems that there were 2 people
putting on the event, I guess this was Bill and April according
to the announcement. April was actually on the list to play,
and ended up wanting to play past the allotted 8-minute time
limit. Everyone else seemed to be okay with that, as I think
she was entertaining them, and me too. But the main host, Bill,
sort of feaked out about it. He actually said to her, "If you play
another song, I'm not hosting anymore, and I'll never host another
one of these again!" Wow.
This led to the show sort of running itself, and Bill sitting in
the other room bitching loudly about it. But the show continued, and
the mood was still good. We rung in another "Anti-Valentine's", if your
into that sort of thing. And the drama added a good flavor regardless.
Anyway, all the drama aside, I had a great time, and wanted to thank
everyone involved for putting this event on. Valentines is perfect
for open mic, and I hope there will be another next year.

And to add, Joe and Jo's should do more open mics, perhaps once a month.
The space is inviting, and not intimidating at all.

-N