ch-scene - Goodbye from The Scaries!

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Matthew Tomich <matt AT novia.net>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Goodbye from The Scaries!
  • Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 06:02:36 -0000

The Scaries will be playing our last two shows December 13th in Chapel
Hill, NC at Go Rehearsals.

DECEMBER 13 - GO REHEARSALS - CHAPEL HILL, NC - 6 P.M.
the scaries + alli with an i + letdown

DECEMBER 13 - GO REHEARSALS - CHAPEL HILL, NC - 9 P.M.
awk (our andrew wk cover band) + the scaries + alli with an i + xtreme
badasses

If you are planning on going, the show are almost sold out. E-Tix does
not have any more on-line, but you can order tickets with a credit card
over the phone by calling the Cat's Cradle at 919-967-9053. There are not
many left.

Goodbye!

"Breaking up" sounds overly dramatic. More accurately, we're playing our
last show and then not showing up to band practice anymore. "No call, no
show" is more like it.

People ask why we're playing our last shows. There is a popular
misconception that rock bands stay together forever. Bands get together,
write their songs, release them to the world, and then the members go on
to work in restaurants or play in tribute bands. Maybe while they were
together they were lucky enough to come to your town and play live and get
drunk and sleep on your local beach. But nothing lasts forever, which is
exactly the reason why after reading this and jacking around on the
internet, you should get up and go do everything you keep talking about
doing instead of just sitting around and talking about it.

As for what we'll be doing after this, Bill and Lyle will be continuing
their metal instrumental onslaught in Amish Jhiad. Mike will be moving to
Gainesville, FL and starting a new band with Jon and Derron from the band
Gunmoll. On top of that, Mike and the guys from Gunmoll will be putting
out a split-EP of acoustic versions their own bands' songs on Law of
Inertia records sometime in 2004. And Matt will write for glossy rock
magazines and travel to foreign countries that require inoculations.

We have a lot of people to thank from the last eight years. Let's start
with the entire populations of Orange, Durham, Wake, Burlington, Wayne,
and Alamance counties in North Carolina. That should cover everyone we
know around here. And everybody in the Virginia Beach area, and whoever
lived in Harrisonburg, Virginia from 1997-2001, gracias amigos. Thank you
Florida, as somehow we never got a ticket for speeding or indecent
exposure in your state. And thank you Garden City, Kansas and Lincoln,
North Dakota for showing up in droves, because otherwise I think we
would've committed seppuku out of sheer boredom while driving across the
Midwest. Meanwhile, anybody who drives the speed limit in Connecticut or
runs a crooked rock club in California, you can kiss our ass. You shook
our faith in humanity and we hope you all get audited at least once in
your lives.

If you heard our songs, you should thank these guys who made sure our
records came out: Fab Del Rey records, Matt Kelley at Route 14 records,
and Ross Siegel at Law of Inertia records. If you guys were waiting for
the big MTV breakthrough hit so you could cash in on our back catalog, I'm
sorry we let you down.

Thank you Matt Ehlers and Travis Groo for sending a lot of e-mails and
making a lot of phone calls for us at one time or another.

We've played a ridiculous number of shows across three countries and can't
remember all the fun places we've played. But we'd like to especially
thank Go, Cat's Cradle, Lizard and Snake, Duke Coffeehouse, and Matt Dauer
in Virginia Beach, as they always hooked us up and gave us whatever we
wanted like the spoiled children we are. But the crowded, out-of-control
house shows were some of the most memorable and we had some of the best
times of our lives at the High Life House in Colorado Springs, the
Spaghetti House in Harrisonburg, Tommy's apartment in Morgantown, and
whatever that house was in Atlantic, NC where literally the whole town
showed up.

We can't begin to name the bands that we want to thank. We wish we could
play with you all one more time. If we could get all the bands we wanted
to play our farewell show, it would be a three-day outdoor festival with
$10 parking and $5 beers. But for the record, we'd like to say it sucks
that The Revolvers, 65 Filmshow, and Gunmoll broke up before we did, and
we wish they were waiting for us in band heaven.

And if sometime in the last eight years you came to our show, bought a CD,
wore a t-shirt, or downloaded our songs and put them on a mix tape,
thanks. You have no idea how stoked we were when you thought something we
did was worth taking home (and likewise, we realized we were going to have
gas money to get back home.)

And to every single person in Japan, thank you! You're all so nice.

Some people have written us some really kind letters saying all sorts of
incredible things. We'd like to say that you should cheer the hell up and
go start your own rock band. It's a great way to spend seven or more
years of your life. We highly recommend it.

If we have any regrets, it's that we didn't get to finish another album
before it was all over. But we hope somewhere along the line, we did
something that made your day better than it would've been if we had just
decided to stay home and watch movies.

If at some point in the last eight years we were some part of your lives,
you made the band that was our lives worthwhile for us. For us, it came to
an end while it was still fun. And we hope at the end of your days, you
can say the same.

Ciao bella!
The Scaries