ccafrica - [ccAfrica] OER funding opportunity

ccafrica AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons Jurisdiction Teams in Sub-Saharan Africa

  • From: Tobias Schonwetter <tobias AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: CC Africa mailing list <ccafrica AT lists.ibiblio.org>, "ccafrica-oer AT lists.ibiblio.org" <ccAfrica-OER AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: Paul Stacey <pstacey AT creativecommons.org>
  • Subject: [ccAfrica] OER funding opportunity
  • Date: Tue, 6 May 2014 10:49:19 +0200

Dear colleagues:

last week, Paul Stacey - CC’s Associate Director of Global Learning - informed affiliates about a funding opportunity under the (and this is quite a mouthful) US Department of Labor Trade Adjustment Assistance Community College and Career Training (TACCCT) grant program. CC HQ wants to propose to use some funding for reusing TAACCCT OER curricula in other countries. This is of course not without challenges but still an interesting idea in my opinion. CC HQ’s approach for now is to focus on health-realted OER.

Paul Stacey thinks that the following activities could be supported to get this initiative off the ground:
  • identifying interest in, or need for, TAACCCT OER among colleges and universities in your country
  • providing workshops on OER and demoing existing TAACCCT OER to interested institutions
  • forming consortia made up of the original OER authors and representatives from those in your country who express interest to discuss and coordinate reuse
  • adapting and localising the TAACCCT OER to meet the needs of your country. This could include things like translation, localising the OER with examples from your region, authoring new content, etc.
I don’t think that any affiliate in Africa has yet expressed interest in collaborating with CC HQ on this. However, in light of its focus I really do think that this is worthwhile considering, especially for organisations like CEHURD that are already working in this area.

If you wish to be included in these discussions, please get in touch directly with Paul Stacey (copied to this email) - and do not hesitate to contact Alex or myself if you have further questions. Please note, however, that the deadline for expressions of interests is 7 May (i.e., tomorrow).

Best,

Tobias

PS: Paul S, please feel free to chip in if I missed anything.

---
Dr. Tobias Schonwetter
Regional Coordinator: Africa
Creative Commons