cc-uk - Re: [Cc-uk] Granting commercial rights you don't possess

  • From: Stuart Yeates <stuart.yeates AT oucs.ox.ac.uk>
  • To: Paul Dixon <paul AT elphin.com>
  • Cc: cc-uk AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Cc-uk] Granting commercial rights you don't possess
  • Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 09:08:11 +0100

Paul Dixon wrote:
> There are some public places in the UK where professional photography
> requires a permit, such as Trafalgar Square (source [1]). What happens
> when someone publishes one of their amateur snaps under a CC licence
> allowing commercial activity (see [2] for example)
>
> [1] The UK Photographers Rights Guide
> http://www.sirimo.co.uk/ukpr.php

I recently blogged about similar but different issues with respect
to the Eiffel Tower in Paris:

http://connect.educause.edu/blog/stuartyeates/copyright_shenanigans_with_the_eiffel_tower/1300

The issue here is that the Eiffel tower contains artwork that is
still covered by copyright, and any photographs make a reproduction
of that artwork.

cheers
stuart
--
Stuart Yeates stuart.yeates AT oucs.ox.ac.uk
OSS Watch http://www.oss-watch.ac.uk/