cc-uk - Re: [Cc-uk] What is the current status of the CC Licenses for England &Wales

  • From: Rob Myers <robmyers AT mac.com>
  • To: cc-uk AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Cc-uk] What is the current status of the CC Licenses for England &Wales
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 10:53:54 +0000

I am not a lawyer, I am not Creative Commons.

On Wednesday, January 12, 2005, at 03:22PM,
<Damian.Rafferty AT Culture.gsi.gov.uk> wrote:

>I am not clear about the legal status of Creative Commons in England. If for
>example a museum were to put some of its content under a CC license, what
>would be the legal status of the content at the moment?

The CC licenses are copyright licenses, so you keep copyright on your content
but allow certain well-defined uses by anyone who can access it. The content
is protected by the license, and if someone uses the work inappropriately you
still have licensing law and copyright law on your side.

The localised licenses for England/Wales and for Scotland aren't quite
finished yet. They should be done soon. Content shouldn't be released under
the draft versions.

Depending on the timescale of any project the best thing is either to wait
for the UK licenses or to use the main (American) CC licenses. You can switch
later, or if using third-party work you can use the re-licensing clause of
the licenses to re-license the work under a CC-UK license.

>Is there a future point at which the licenses would be more valid and if so
>when is this expected to happen?

The UK licenses will be very valid when they're finished. :-) Until then the
main CC licenses should be OK.

- Rob.