cc-uk - [Cc-uk] Re: Collection Agencies and BBC Radio (Rob Myers)

  • From: Dr Tim Brookes <t.brookes AT surrey.ac.uk>
  • To: cc-uk AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Cc-uk] Re: Collection Agencies and BBC Radio (Rob Myers)
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 12:37:26 +0000
On 31 Dec 2004, at 17:00, Rob Myers wrote:
The most recently posted CC-UK-EW draft of the noncommercial license states:

"All rights not expressly granted by the Licensor are hereby reserved, including but not limited to the exclusive right to collect, whether individually or via a Licensing Body, i.e. Collecting Society, (e.g. ALCS, MCPS, PRS, PPL, VPL) royalties for any use of the Work for any reason which generates a profit. "

I spoke to a PPL rep yesterday and asked about CC licensing. He told me that they would not return to me the right to license non-profit-making performances of my sound recordings, so the only way I could issue works under a CC noncommercial licence with the above wording would be to cancel my PPL membership, thus losing all future royalties on commercial exploitation of all works.

I think the wording on the draft UK licence posted at creativecommons.org/worldwide/uk/translated-license would be OK with PPL though because it says (under 5ai) that the licensee can do what they like without paying anything "with the exception of any music clearances (including, without limitation, from the MCPS or the PRS) which may be required in relation to your use of the Work" - with no mention of profit-making or otherwise. I think a PPL (and PRS and MCPS) member could issue works under this licence (although the licensee wouldn't actually be granted many rights they didn't already have).

Does anyone know which is the most recent version of the licence, or what is the current state of play with CC and the collection agencies?

Tim.

  • [Cc-uk] Re: Collection Agencies and BBC Radio (Rob Myers), Dr Tim Brookes, 01/14/2005