cc-uk - [Cc-uk] archive case lost

  • From: "Christian Ahlert" <christian.ahlert AT internet-institute.oxford.ac.uk>
  • To: cc-uk <cc-uk AT lists.ibiblio.org>, Rob Myers <robmyers AT mac.com>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [Cc-uk] archive case lost
  • Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2004 13:43:37 +0100

Judge Dismisses Challenge to 4 Laws That Archivists Say Skew
Concept of Copyright

By ANDREA L. FOSTER (mailto:andrea.foster AT chronicle.com)
Tuesday, November 30, 2004

A federal judge has ruled against legal scholars and archivists
who challenged current copyright law in hopes of making it easier
to archive old literature and films on the Internet, where they
would be available free to the public.

The case, Kahle v. Ashcroft, pitted two archive groups -- the
Internet Archive, a nonprofit digital library, and the Prelinger
Archives, which preserves films -- against the U.S. Justice
Department. The archivists argued that four copyright laws are
collectively keeping people from gaining access to "orphan"
works: out-of-print books, old films, and academic articles that
have little or no commercial value.

The laws that the archivists fault are the Copyright Act of 1976,
the Berne Convention Implementation Act of 1988, the Copyright
Renewal Act of 1992, and the Sonny Bono Copyright Term Extension
Act of 1998. A central part of the archivists' argument is that
laws granting copyright protection to all works, even those for
which the creators have not sought protection, have radically
altered the "traditional contours of copyright."

But Judge Maxine M. Chesney, of the U.S. District Court for the
Northern District of California, disagreed with that claim and
dismissed the case without hearing arguments on it. In an opinion
based in part on the U.S. Supreme Court's 2003 decision in Eldred
v. Ashcroft (The Chronicle, January 16,
2003)(http://chronicle.com/daily/2003/01/2003011601t.htm), Judge
Chesney wrote that laws that abolished the requirement that works
be registered to receive copyright protection do not "alter the
scope of copyright protection, but merely determine the
procedures necessary to obtain or maintain such protection."

Lawrence Lessig, a prominent expert on law and technology,
handled the challenge for the archivists, along with two other
legal scholars. All three are affiliated with Stanford Law
School's Center for Internet & Society.

Jennifer S. Granick, executive director of the center, said on
Monday that the judge got it wrong.

"If you have a law that says you don't have to apply for
copyright protection," said Ms. Granick, "that clearly is about
scope." The plaintiffs plan to appeal the ruling.

The full text of Judge Chesney's ruling, which was issued on
November 19, is available here
(http://www.joegratz.net/files/Kahle-ChesneyDismissal.pdf).

Background articles from The Chronicle:

Scholar Sues for Free Online Access to Out-of-Print Books
(4/9/2004) (http://chronicle.com/weekly/v50/i31/31a03401.htm)

Movie Archivists Promote Easing of Copyright Restrictions
(7/4/2003) (http://chronicle.com/weekly/v49/i43/43a02402.htm)

Supreme Court Upholds Law Adding 20 Years to Copyrights
(1/16/2003) (http://chronicle.com/daily/2003/01/2003011601t.htm)

Am 22 Nov 2004 um 15:15 hat Rob Myers geschrieben: