cc-uk - RE: [Cc-uk] Integrity. Again.

  • From: Hector MacQueen <hector.macqueen AT ed.ac.uk>
  • To: Andres Guadamuz <a.guadamuz AT ed.ac.uk>
  • Cc: 'cc-uk' <cc-uk AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Cc-uk] Integrity. Again.
  • Date: Sat, 2 Oct 2004 15:53:09 +0100

I would agree with Andres that there should not be any objection either to a
freedom to waive the right. The right of integrity is limited to protecting
the work from "distortion, mutilation, modification or other derogatory action
adversely affecting the author's honour and reputation" (Berne Convention art
6
bis; cf United Kingdom's Copyright Designs and Patents Act 1988 s 80); so it
is
not a right which absolutely denies the commons interests in e.g. adaptation,
parody, borrowing; but is actually rather consistent with the wider idea of
human rights law which calls on us, as much as social groups as governments or
states, to respect the dignity and personality of others as expressed, for
example, in their creative works.

Hector MacQueen
Professor of Private Law
Director, AHRB Research Centre Intellectual Property and Technology Law
Edinburgh Law School
University of Edinburgh
Edinburgh EH8 9YL
UK
Tel: (0)131-650-2060; Fax: (0)131-662-6317