cc-nz - [Cc-nz] A model for funding work under free licenses

cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion

  • From: Danyl Strype <strypey AT disintermedia.net.nz>
  • To: Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion <cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org>, NZOSS Open Discussion List <openchat AT lists.nzoss.org.nz>
  • Subject: [Cc-nz] A model for funding work under free licenses
  • Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2013 16:34:33 +1300

Kia ora koutou

A friend recently pointed me at this blog post:
http://lunduke.com/2013/11/30/open-source-shareware-it-works/

The code is free (as in freedom), but offering an official, compiled
binary of the program for download is a value-added service. Sure, the
odd geek would compile the program from the source code, but the vast
majority of people would rather pay a small fee to support the
developer than go to the trouble. I wonder what the equivalent could
be for CreativeCommons works?

I think the problem is that we just keep asking the wrong question;
"how do we *make* people pay?". This question bundles in the
assumption that unless forced to pay, people would rather see creative
workers slave away for no reward. Based on the example above, the
HumbleBundles (https://www.humblebundle.com/), and a multitude of
successful crowdfunding campaigns, I think people *want* to pay
creative workers. They just don't want to pay the rent-seekers running
the economic 'man-in-the-middle' attack on those workers' income
stream. I'd be very curious to see what would happen if kiwi artists,
musicians, film-makers etc started offering a Pay-What-You-Want
download of CC-licensed work, linked from their own website.

Ma te wā
Strypey

--
Danyl Strype
Community Developer

"Geeks are those who partake in our culture."
- .ISOcrates

"Voting... is the next to last refuge of the politically impotent. The
last refuge is, of course, giving your opinion to a pollster, who will
get a version of it through a dessicated question, and then will
submerge it in a Niagra of similar opinions, and convert them into -
what else? - another piece of news. Thus, we have here a great loop of
impotence: The news elicits from you a variety of opinions about which
you can do nothing except to offer them as more news, about which you
can do nothing."
- Neil Postman, 'Amusing Ourselves To Death'