cc-nz - Re: [Cc-nz] NZOnAir Online Rights Paper

cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion

  • From: Danyl Strype <strypey AT disintermedia.net.nz>
  • To: Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion <cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Cc-nz] NZOnAir Online Rights Paper
  • Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2013 18:13:01 +1300

Kia ora koutou

On 10 December 2013 15:39, Matt McGregor
<Matt.McGregor AT royalsociety.org.nz> wrote:

>> The reason why they haven’t adopted our conclusions – even as they appear
>> to agree with our basic arguments – can be explained by the fact that
>> submissions to their initial discussion paper were very heavily weighted
>> in favour of industry groups. Many of these submissions were very strongly
>> against any change to the status quo <<

This being the case, it would be good to get multiple pro-CC
organisations to represent themselves, not just CC ANZ, and for as
many of us as possible to represent as individual members of the
public as well. Would it be appropriate to circulate the CC ANZ to
circulate its statement to consultations like these in advance of the
deadline, so that the rest of us can use it as a model for how to
write our own? Like Greenpeace and Forest and Bird do when there are
public consultations on matters within their purview?

>> If anyone is interested in helping out, perhaps we can develop a working
>> group within Loomio. <<

A discussion on Loomio sounds like a really good way to brainstorm the
issues and possibilities, which could then guide both the drafting of
the CC ANZ statement, and those others might wish to make.

BTW Feel free to incorporate anything I wrote in that last email if it's
useful.

Hei kōnā
Strypey

--
Danyl Strype
Community Developer

"Geeks are those who partake in our culture."
- .ISOcrates

"Voting... is the next to last refuge of the politically impotent. The
last refuge is, of course, giving your opinion to a pollster, who will
get a version of it through a dessicated question, and then will
submerge it in a Niagra of similar opinions, and convert them into -
what else? - another piece of news. Thus, we have here a great loop of
impotence: The news elicits from you a variety of opinions about which
you can do nothing except to offer them as more news, about which you
can do nothing."
- Neil Postman, 'Amusing Ourselves To Death'