cc-nz - Re: [Cc-nz] A model for funding work under free licenses

cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion

  • From: Nicolas Suzor <nic AT suzor.com>
  • To: Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion <cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Cc-nz] A model for funding work under free licenses
  • Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2013 09:43:17 +0200

Hi Danyl

I'm so glad you passed this along. In approx 20 minutes, I'm presenting
on exactly this issue at the Global Congress for IP in the Public
Interest in Cape Town.

On 12/13/2013 05:34 AM, Danyl Strype wrote:
> I think the problem is that we just keep asking the wrong question;
> "how do we *make* people pay?". This question bundles in the
> assumption that unless forced to pay, people would rather see creative
> workers slave away for no reward.

I think that we are now in a position that there have been many
experiments in asking people (and institutions) to pay on a voluntary
basis to fund the production of open cultural works. The challenge is
now to start to draw these examples together and try to identify the
conditions under which this can be successful.

This is one of the larger research project that we're working on at QUT;
I encourage anyone interested to get in touch, we need help collecting
and analysing examples. I'd also be very interested in supporting any
experiments that local artists might choose to try (and particularly if
we can run a survey / interview series around it!)

In preliminary terms, I tend to think of these experiments in three
categories: cross-subsidies and 'street performer' models (think Amanda
Palmer's cc-licensed kickstarter album); altruistic or 'warm glow'
models (think unglue.it); and large-scale collective action by
institutions (think SCOAP3.org). My slides for today introduce this
preliminary grouping:
http://nic.suzor.net/slides/2013/20131213-GlobalCongress-Commons.html#/

Again, if anyone is interested in this type of research or practice, I'd
be very keen to follow up.

Nic

--
Nicolas Suzor