cc-nz - Re: [Cc-nz] Offer to migrate ccnz list to onlinegroups.net

cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion

  • From: Danyl Strype <strypey AT disintermedia.net.nz>
  • To: Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion <cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Cc-nz] Offer to migrate ccnz list to onlinegroups.net
  • Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2013 14:34:11 +1300

Kia ora koutou

On 2 October 2013 13:46, Matt McGregor <Matt.McGregor AT royalsociety.org.nz> wrote:

[Dan] has offered to migrate the cc-nz list to onlinegroups, and continue to host it there, for free, so I thought it best to put it to the list.

This is a generous offer, and I can see the benefits of having all CC ANZ email lists on one service, particularly a flagship open source company like OnlineGroups.net. My only reservation is that the existing cc-nz list was set up for us by CC HQ, and they may consider it to be the "official" community list. I think it would be worth checking with them before making any changes.

The concerns Wayne raises are valid, but I don't see anything that would stand in the way of migrating the list to a different host.

Wayne:
>> Please clarify the intellectual property / licensing issues of the posts on the list and the data they're storing. <<

This is an interesting point. What is the copyright status of the existing archives on Ibiblio? I'm guessing, unless otherwise specified, that each posting to the list is ARR copyright to its author. Is there any other data related to the cc-nz list?

OnlineGroups.net TOC:
>> The User agrees that they are ultimately responsible for backing up their own site information, including any data, unless a separate backup agreement with OnlineGroups.Net is in place. <<

Matt, is Dan offering us a backup service if we switch to OnlineGroups.net?

>> The other issue to think about is whether onlinegroups.net is using any US owned Company for cloud services and if so, whether our group is comfortable with the provisions of the US Patriot Act regarding regarding privacy. <<

Since all postings to the list are publicly archived, the only privacy issues related to the subscriber list, which is available only to admins. Ibiblio, our current listserver, is hosted in the US, so moving to OnlineGroups will not increase our exposure to Patriot Act legal conditions. Matt, are you able to tell us in which country OnlineGroups servers are hosted?

Hei kōnā
Strypey

--
Danyl Strype
Community Developer

"Geeks are those who partake in our culture."
- .ISOcrates

"Voting... is the next to last refuge of the politically impotent. The last refuge is, of course, giving your opinion to a pollster, who will get a version of it through a dessicated question, and then will submerge it in a Niagra of similar opinions, and convert them into - what else? - another piece of news. Thus, we have here a great loop of impotence: The news elicits from you a variety of opinions about which you can do nothing except to offer them as more news, about which you can do nothing."
- Neil Postman, 'Amusing Ourselves To Death'