cc-nz - Re: [Cc-nz] Latest meeting on wiki

cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion

  • From: Danyl Strype <strypey AT disintermedia.net.nz>
  • To: Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion <cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Cc-nz] Latest meeting on wiki
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2013 15:47:30 +1200

Kia ora Matt

I'm not sure if I've mentioned this before, but for the last year or so, I've been working with some geeks from the NZOSS to set up a worker-owned cooperative, so supply ICT services mainly based on free code software. We now have a name - Meshed Coop - and will be registering as a Cooperative Company as soon as our constitution is ready, and we can have a founding AGM.

One of our strategies is to start out, as many open source communities do, by rolling out tools for our own use ("dogfooding"  in industry slang), as a way of testing and polishing them before we roll them out for users. One of our priorities is to develop a Skype-killer for use in our own weekly online meetings (currently using Hangouts but not happy with the heavy G+ integration). Once the spit and polish is done, we will offer it to other users, who can either pay us for a hosted service, or use the publicly-available source code to set up their own service. One of our goals is to offer some free use of our hosted services to not-for-profit causes we support, and obviously CC is one of those, but this will depend on what we can afford.

Anyway, why am I mentioning all this to you? I note in your report to the Advisory Panel that you are using Skype for online conferencing with school students. Do you think there is any way CC ANZ can give some funds to our development effort to replace Skype, perhaps in exchange for being our first gratis user (we would expect some bragging rights too ;) Alternatively, do you think CC ANZ could be a (discounted) paying customer for a hosted service based on the free code stack we develop?

Just testing the waters.

Ma te wā