cc-nz - Re: [Cc-nz] Through the Heart - Activist doco uses CC-BY-ND

cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion

  • From: Danyl Strype <strypey AT disintermedia.net.nz>
  • To: Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion <cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Cc-nz] Through the Heart - Activist doco uses CC-BY-ND
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2013 15:13:16 +1200

Kia ora koutou

Thanks Matt for your comments. Good to know also that the wording of
the CC licenses does protect people from having derivatives falsely
attributed to them. I note there is a brief discussion on moral rights
in the FAQ on cc.org.nz, but perhaps it would be worth having creating
a document or FAQ specifically about moral rights; what they are, how
they protect authors under ARR copyright, and some specific examples
of how they might protect an author using CC licenses? This could be
made available as a printable document/ pamphlet under Resources, and
as a more prominent page on the website?

On a related tangent, you may remember some months ago we had a fairly
robust discussion about the Students for Free Culture proposal to
phase out NC and ND. During that discussion, the risk of derogatory or
insensitive use of an author's work was presented as a reason to keep
ND. If we accept that both moral rights, and the wording of the CC
licenses offers this level of protection *without* the use of ND, is
there still any compelling reason to have licenses which forbid remix
and mash-up?

Hei kōnā
Strypey

--
Danyl Strype
Community Developer

"Geeks are those who partake in our culture."
- .ISOcrates

"Uncomfortable alliances are not just necessary; they reflect and
speak to the tremendous possibility of our political moment."
- Harmony Goldberg and Joshua Kahn Russell
http://www.nationofchange.org/new-radical-alliances-new-era-1337004193

"Both Marxists and Chicago-school libertarian economists can agree
that free software is the best model."
- Keith C Curtis
http://keithcu.com/wordpress/?page_id=407