cc-nz - [Cc-nz] Through the Heart - Activist doco uses CC-BY-ND

cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion

  • From: Danyl Strype <strypey AT disintermedia.net.nz>
  • To: Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion <cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Cc-nz] Through the Heart - Activist doco uses CC-BY-ND
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2013 02:28:47 +1200

Kia ora koutou

My partner drew my attention today to this documentary about
Transmission Gully :
http://www.throughtheheart.co.nz/

Which doesn't use a NonCommercial clause (perhaps because they don't
think it likely anyone will do better than cover costs selling
copies), but does use a NoDerivatives clause. Perhaps they are
concerned about people re-editing the doco to misrepresent them?

I'm not convinced allowing derivatives really creates that issue.
Assuming people respect the license in the first place, any derivative
must acknowledge and link back to the original. This should make it
clear that it is a derivative, and does not represent the original
author. Free code software licenses deal with this by specifying that
a person cannot claim credit for work derived from another project
(Attribution), and cannot represent the derivative as the work of the
original author. I guess the question is, do CC licences which allow
derivatives include language to this effect?

Hei kōnā
Strypey

--
Danyl Strype
Community Developer

"Geeks are those who partake in our culture."
- .ISOcrates

"Uncomfortable alliances are not just necessary; they reflect and
speak to the tremendous possibility of our political moment."
- Harmony Goldberg and Joshua Kahn Russell
http://www.nationofchange.org/new-radical-alliances-new-era-1337004193

"Both Marxists and Chicago-school libertarian economists can agree
that free software is the best model."
- Keith C Curtis
http://keithcu.com/wordpress/?page_id=407