cc-nz - [Cc-nz] HumbleBundle accepting BitCoin payments

cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion

  • From: Danyl Strype <strypey AT disintermedia.net.nz>
  • To: Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion <cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Cc-nz] HumbleBundle accepting BitCoin payments
  • Date: Wed, 15 May 2013 22:52:32 +1200

Kia ora koutou

Some time ago I believe I posted to this list about the
HumbleIndieBundle, a collection of DRM-free games (some of them under
free code software licenses, and some with CC-licensed game art) which
could be downloaded at a price set by the user. There have now been
quite a few HumbleBundles, making significant income for independent
game developers, and proving that creative work can earn significant
remuneration without using ARR copyright and enforcing it with DRM
crippleware. There have also been a few experiments with HumbleBundles
of other media, including EBook bundles and music bundles, although if
CC licenses are being used, they're not being prominently promoted:
http://blog.humblebundle.com/post/28062087940/introducing-the-humble-music-bundle

I believe I also posted about BitCoins as a possible way of giving
online to artists using CC. I haven't followed this up for a while, as
the value of BitCoins seemed to rise and fall significantly over
fairly short periods of time, making it a questionable medium of
exchange. However, the latest HumbleBundle now allows payments in
BitCoins, due to large numbers of users requesting the ability to pay
in this form:
http://blog.humblebundle.com/post/50032402607/humble-double-fine-bundle-now-with-bitcoin

I wonder what it would take to set up a situation where a bundle of
albums by kiwi musicians, released under CC license, could be made
available under a similar system, with payments made in either kiwi
dollars of BitCoins?

Hei kōnā
Strypey

--
Danyl Strype
Community Developer

"Geeks are those who partake in our culture."
- .ISOcrates

"Uncomfortable alliances are not just necessary; they reflect and
speak to the tremendous possibility of our political moment."
- Harmony Goldberg and Joshua Kahn Russell
http://www.nationofchange.org/new-radical-alliances-new-era-1337004193

"Both Marxists and Chicago-school libertarian economists can agree
that free software is the best model."
- Keith C Curtis
http://keithcu.com/wordpress/?page_id=407