cc-nz - [Cc-nz] CC license on Things

cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion

  • From: Danyl Strype <strypey AT disintermedia.net.nz>
  • To: Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion <cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Cc-nz] CC license on Things
  • Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2013 16:00:03 +1200

Kia ora koutou

Just noticed this 3D printer design is being shared under a CC license:
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:74669

It's pretty cool to see CC being applied to designs for physical objects. It occurs to me that if designs for hardware are covered by copyright, CC could be used instead of a specific Open Hardware License (eg http://www.tapr.org/ohl.html). This would reduce license proliferation, and could increase the potential for remix and mashup that includes physical objects.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Hei kōnā
Strypey

--
Danyl Strype
Community Developer

"Geeks are those who partake in our culture."
- .ISOcrates

"Uncomfortable alliances are not just necessary; they reflect and speak to the tremendous possibility of our political moment."
- Harmony Goldberg and Joshua Kahn Russell
http://www.nationofchange.org/new-radical-alliances-new-era-1337004193

"Both Marxists and Chicago-school libertarian economists can agree that free software is the best model."
- Keith C Curtis
http://keithcu.com/wordpress/?page_id=407

  • [Cc-nz] CC license on Things, Danyl Strype, 04/26/2013