cc-nz - Re: [Cc-nz] Archiving the web for posterity

cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion

  • From: Matt McGregor <mcgma709 AT gmail.com>
  • To: Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion <cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Cc-nz] Archiving the web for posterity
  • Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2012 11:44:37 +1300

Hi Leigh,

That's a somewhat fair response, though with respect I think you're conflating a few differing issues. My brief message addressed what you call belittling. I know this is the Internet, but I truly see no reason why anyone needs to belittle anyone--on this list or anywhere.

On your other points, I (mostly) agree (and I'm not sure why you would think otherwise). Heated discussion should be encouraged. We're debating issues we hold in common--culture in the broadest sense of the term--and the debate could hardly be too lively.

Perhaps the word 'cordial' tipped you off. To be clear, I was making any claims that the general tone of the list--which I think is fantastic. I was referring to a very specific tone. I don't think we should conflate the two.

On the question of silence: You might be right that I silenced the thread, though perhaps we might wait longer than the 12 hours from 10pm Friday to 10am Saturday to make that call?

As I hope this response shows, I do enjoy a heated exchange, and would always encourage others to join in!

Best wishes,

Matt