cc-nz - Re: [Cc-nz] Time to retire ND and NC

cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion

  • From: Allison Brown <allison.brown AT otago.ac.nz>
  • To: Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion <cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Cc-nz] Time to retire ND and NC
  • Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2012 08:44:52 +0000

Kia ora koutou,

> Am I correct that nobody so far has defended ND by offering a specific case
> of its benefits? Could the benefits of offering a suite of license options
> be retained if we retire ND, and keep some form of NC?

The reasons I think ND is of benefit to me...

I have personally used ND on a few occasions. This was because I don’t want
someone else to remix certain poems without discussing it with me first and
it is generally because of the subject matter. Mostly I'm not too worried
but it's nice to know on occasion I have that choice - NC and ND are both
about choice.

Moral rights...
There are so many cases of others ignoring the moral rights of especially
artworks, photos and cultural work once things are put online. This provides
a framework without having to feel you need to explain why remixing may not
be appropriate on occasion. Yes I know some of you may wonder why bother
sharing if you won't allow remixing. I assure you there are plenty of
artworks worth sharing even if the artist does not want you to remix without
discussing it with them first.

Plus do you want a family photo used by someone else (or a company) in a way
that makes you uncomfortable - NC and ND addresses that.

Ngā mihi
Allison

-----
Allison Brown • Digital Services Coordinator •
University of Otago Central Library | Te Whare Pukapuka Matua o Te Whare
Wānanga o Otāgo • Ōtepoti, Aotearoa • Waea 64 3 479 3961 • Īmera
allison.brown AT otago.ac.nz • Paetukutuka http://library.otago.ac.nz • Twitter
@Initiatives_lib