cc-nz - Re: [Cc-nz] Time to retire ND and NC

cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion

  • From: Jonathan Hunt <cc_aotearoa AT huntdesign.co.nz>
  • To: Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion <cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Cc-nz] Time to retire ND and NC
  • Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2012 08:36:31 +1200

On 14/09/2012, at 8:16 PM, Danyl Strype wrote:
>>> Removing them would be counter-productive. <<
>
> Opponents of CC have always argued that removing any of the rights
> associated with ARR copyright is counter-productive. Again, can you
> offer examples?

I think removing ND and NC is counter-productive, from the point-of-view that
one of the main attractions of CC is the spread of options it offers.

If NC/ND are not available, it positions CC as just another "free" license
rather than offering the spread of options it currently does.

I think the benefits of encouraging people to label content according to CC,
even if their licenses are restricted, is being underestimated.

It also gets content creators into a system where they can begin to examine
what rights they want to make available beyond ARR and gives them
infrastructure and common ways of expressing this.

I think removing NC and ND will remove a significant "on ramp" towards freer
licensing.

Regards
Jonathan

Jonathan Hunt
http://huntdesign.co.nz
+64 21 529 250
PO Box 1062, Christchurch 8140, New Zealand