cc-nz - [Cc-nz] involving community in CC.org.nz

cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion

  • From: Danyl Strype <strypey AT disintermedia.net.nz>
  • To: Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion <cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Cc-nz] involving community in CC.org.nz
  • Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2012 18:28:03 +1200

Kia ora koutou

Thanks for setting up the wikipage for the 10th anniversary. Wayne and
I intend to meet up soon to dicuss the Ōtepoti event. If any other
southern folks want to be part of that, please contact myself or Wayne
and we'll find a time to meet that suits everyone.

Thanks also for the resources page. We can all be ambassadors for CC
in Aotearoa, and it's great to have so many tools for doing that in
one place. I'm particularly impressed that the CCKiwi video plays
without hassle in both my browsers (Iron, a variant of Chrome, and
Firefox) on Ubuntu Linux :)

On 26 July 2012 14:47, Matt McGregor <mcgma709 AT gmail.com> wrote:
>> The obvious downside to this is that it is more centralised and formalised:
Absent our old user accounts, I'll have to act as middleman. I realise
this isn't ideal. <<

Can I ask why the decision was made not to have user accounts? A
WordPress site can do this by default, and it would be easy to have
multiple levels of permissions:
* all users can post comments with their user account, and maintain a
profile about their own use of CC, including links to CC-licensed work
* some users (approved by admin) can post news stories

Various tools are available (captcha etc) to prevent spambots signing
up for accounts, and you can even implement an extra level of security
where all comments by new users are put under moderation until the
admins are happy that they are not a spammer.

While I'm in feedback mode, I'd also really like to see a wiki on the
site. This would allow the community to build up our own
documentation, in a community-run space which is clearly marked as
"user-contributed", and not official communication from CC ANZ. I've
been arguing for this since the site was first built, and I'm still
not sure why it's never been done.

I think most people now understand roughly what a wiki is, thanks to
Wikipedia, and it would be easy enough to string a big disclaimer
banner across the top of all wikipages saying something like
"community documentation under construction, please check back
regularly for corrections and updates".

>> The old forum had a few dozen posts, and few comments <<

The forum was a failed experiment for a number of reasons:
1) It was added to the site without any consultation with the
community about whether we wanted a forum, or whether we would use it
2) like all web forums, it required people to remember to go and look
at it, and there was no way to have it inform them by email when
someone had replied to their topic
3) the Project Lead and other community leaders, such as those who
have served on the Advisory Board, did not contribute to the forums,
start discussions, reply to the discussions etc. I made some attempt,
but since I felt it was doomed to fail for the reasons given above, I
didn't keep it up.

I know web forums have their champions, but I think email list(s)
combined with a wiki do everything a web forum does, and do it better.

Hei kōnā
Strypey

--
Danyl Strype
Community Developer

"Geeks are those who partake in our culture."
- .ISOcrates

"Uncomfortable alliances are not just necessary; they reflect and
speak to the tremendous possibility of our political moment."
- Harmony Goldberg and Joshua Kahn Russell
http://www.nationofchange.org/new-radical-alliances-new-era-1337004193

"Both Marxists and Chicago-school libertarian economists can agree
that free software is the best model."
- Keith C Curtis
http://keithcu.com/wordpress/?page_id=407