cc-nz - Re: [Cc-nz] Project Oggle

cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion

  • From: Leigh Blackall <leighblackall AT gmail.com>
  • To: Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion <cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Cc-nz] Project Oggle
  • Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2012 15:33:18 +0930

How about a paper for and against cc Danyl. I reckon you could handle it, and make your paper the go-to reference for most people.

On Aug 20, 2012 3:26 PM, "Danyl Strype" <strypey AT disintermedia.net.nz> wrote:
Kia ora koutou

Those who have been lurking on this email list for a while will
remember this one, it's a project that's been smoldering on the
backburner for a few years. Jane and I discussed it a few times, but
never got it off the ground:
http://www.coactivate.org/projects/disintermedia/oggle

Having built a strong foundation for CC among government departments,
NGOs, libraries and archives, education and other such sectors, I
really feel like now's a good time to start planning for the big win;
the entertainment and arts space. Publicly-funded media seems like a
good place to start, which is why I sent that feedback to NZ on Air,
and why I'm trying to get a meeting with Clare Curran, Labour's
Ōtepoti-based broadcasting and IT spokesperson.

I intend to write a paper sometime in the next few months aimed at
authors and artists, including arguments for using CC licenses for
informational and entertainment media and art works, some discussion
of economic models which don't rely on ARR copyright (eg
Crowdfunding), some how-to info on how free code tools and open
protocols can be used to help with low-cost production and
distribution of works, and some case studies to back it all up, and
tie it all together.

If anyone knows of an upcoming conference or event which might be a
good place to present such a paper, please let me know. I tend to find
that I'm more productive with a deadline to chase.

He mihi mahana
Strypey

--
Danyl Strype
Community Developer

"Geeks are those who partake in our culture."
- .ISOcrates

"Uncomfortable alliances are not just necessary; they reflect and
speak to the tremendous possibility of our political moment."
- Harmony Goldberg and Joshua Kahn Russell
http://www.nationofchange.org/new-radical-alliances-new-era-1337004193

"Both Marxists and Chicago-school libertarian economists can agree
that free software is the best model."
- Keith C Curtis
http://keithcu.com/wordpress/?page_id=407