cc-nz - Re: [Cc-nz] Indigenous Knowledge (was: CC parochial)

cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion

  • From: Hamish MacEwan <hamish.macewan AT gmail.com>
  • To: Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion <cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Cc-nz] Indigenous Knowledge (was: CC parochial)
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2010 05:28:04 +1200

On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 16:14, Danyl Strype
<strypey AT disintermedia.net.nz> wrote:

> That which lives breathes!

That which is dead requires preservation.

Danyl, thank you for this piece of work, it's extent and depth in
expressing your agenda has taken some time to digest, so please
forgive the delay in acknowledging it. Given it was in part addressed
to me, I believe I'm obliged to do so, to ignore it would be rude.

> Hamish, as with the other thread on the concerns driving the licensing
> of art, you seem to have missed the frame of my argument here. I wonder
> if this is because I'm assuming a common viewpoint that doesn't exist?

Yes.

I don't believe in the licensing of art, in the granting of
proprietary property rights to a few, enforced by the power of the
state. My support for CC, apart from the fact it sprang from the mind
of Lawrence Lessig, one of my heroes, is that it might provide a
half-way house where the sense of entitlement engendered by historical
copyright might be mitigated on the way to a world where authenticity,
not the power of the state, ensured reward for cultural production.

To suggest extending this framework to support other goals, however
admirable, seems to me to be risky, difficult and unlikely to deliver
the outcomes sought. On the contrary, hence my comment about the
Platonic solids.

I think this material would make an excellent presentation at the
conference, and best wishes for that.

> Danyl Strype

Hamish.
--