cc-nz - [Cc-nz] CC parochial

cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion

  • From: Leigh Blackall <leighblackall AT gmail.com>
  • To: Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion <cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org>, cc-au AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Cc-nz] CC parochial
  • Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 20:19:57 +1000

Has anyone on either the NZ or the AU list discussed the US geocentricism to Creative Commons? I brought the question up at the Open Education conference in Vancouver last year, challenging the CC crew on questions of neo colonialism and heavy words like that.

Its a bit related to how the whole Internet is geared. We have .com .org and .net and then we have .com.au, .com.nz and so on. Why isn't there a .com.us?

And Creative Commons.. Why is there no Creative Commons United States? Is Creative Commons International a project made up of... everyone else but the US?

Is this a non or minor issue worth no discussion? Or is Creative Commons in some ways a vehicle of cultural colonisation, after the free trade agreements get us all in line with All Rights Reserved, the US lefties come in and save us with Creative Commons, swamping us with US centric "free" content, and encouraging us to release our minor international voices under CC licenses as well.

I know that's not the intent, but it could in many ways be the result.

I'd love to see Creative Commons add United States to their name like all the other International sites do... a minor act of solidarity with the 'everyone else' out there.

Leigh Blackall
+61(0)404561009
skype - leigh_blackall
leighblackall AT gmail.com