cc-nz - [Cc-nz] Open source multimedia workshops

cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion

  • From: "Danyl Strype" <strypey AT riseup.net>
  • To: "Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion" <cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Cc-nz] Open source multimedia workshops
  • Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2010 01:00:45 +1200

Kia ora koutou

Apologies for dropping the ball on this one. I wrote a comprehensive reply to answer Floyd's question about why we would need funding for open source multimedia workshops soon after he asked it, a reply which was swallowed whole by my browser :(

In short, I think that the project deserves public funding, since its goals are in the public interest; more use and therefore more development of libre software, more use of open licensing of created works (eg CC), development of a pool of kiwis capable of practicing and teaching multimedia production using libre software etc My main reason for seeking public funding would be to make the workshops available to anyone who is keen, regardless of ability to pay. Potentially, sufficient funding could allow us to bring tutors from overseas to fill any gaps in the skills base within this country without having to impose prohibitively expensive workshop fees on participants.

However, I'm not attached to any particular means of funding the workshops, I just think they are a good idea. If someone wanted to attempt to run them as a commercial enterprise, I would be quite happy with that. If the proposal looked realistic, I would be willing to put some time into helping make it happen.

BTW Thanks Jane for the information on the British Council's project, please do keep up informed of any local developments with that.

Hei kona
Danyl

Quoting "Jane Hornibrook" <janehornibrook AT gmail.com>:

Interesting thought.

Something similar (in regards to CC and open source education for musicians)
is soon to take place here with the British Council and their People in Your
Neighbourhood Project http://www.britishcouncil.org/nz-events-piyn.htm

I understand some workshops planning is underway, will keep you posted on
that one.

--
"A free society is a society where it is safe to be unpopular."
- Adlai E. Stevenson Jr

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and
those who matter don't mind."
- Dr Suess

http://strypey.orconhosting.net.nz/contacts.html