cc-nz - Re: [Cc-nz] Open source multimedia workshops

cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion

  • From: Floyd Wilde <floyd AT newitmake.org.nz>
  • To: Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion <cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: talk AT lists.freegeek.org.nz
  • Subject: Re: [Cc-nz] Open source multimedia workshops
  • Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2010 23:02:28 +1200

Responding to Danyl's idea about multimedia workshops using FOSS, some
of us here in the Hamilton area have a similar idea. We would like to
see a Free Geek New Zealand project get off the ground:

http://free.geek.nz/index.php/Main_Page

The mission of FREE GEEK is to get computers and the knowledge how to
use them into the hands of people that need it, in exchange for
community service.

But I can't help thinking about something Dr. John Clayton told me,
when I interviewed him here:

http://newitmake.org.nz/podcasts/audio/show/22-episode-16-dr-john-clayton-qr-codes

Its about at the 19 minute mark. He says that he often hears that
people don't have access to computers, but he refutes that and says
90% of NZ residents have regular ongoing access to computers. He
says the problem is with people who don't want to use them for
education benefit.

Which makes me want to convey the thing I know about FREE GEEK, is
that it's less about getting computers to people and more about
providing a stable resource where people can interface with those who
understand computer technology. In other words a Community Technology
Center.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=625LPUACix0

Something John also says is that students loose 70% of what they
learned when the leave the classroom/workshop. The smart use of
technology combined with face to face learning is a way of increasing
that retention. Something I think a smart Community Technology Center
can accomplish. If I were to spend time trying to figure out how to
fund something, I would try to establish a CTC. Which could be the
home of not only a multimedia workshop series, but a multimedia lab,
available to the public as well.

Another important thing is this concept of exchange. If you provide
a service and there is no equal exchange among participants, the value
for what you delivered is not appreciated. One of the things I like
about the FREE GEEK model, is there is always a fair exchange for the
computers or training you get there.

I'd like to work on these ideas more, and invite anyone interested to
contribute to the free.geek.nz wiki, and join the mailing list there.

@floydwilde