cc-nz - [Cc-nz] PublicACTA event this Saturday

cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion

  • From: "Danyl Strype" <strypey AT riseup.net>
  • To: cc-nz <cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Cc-nz] PublicACTA event this Saturday
  • Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2010 00:44:49 +1200

Kia ora koutou

Just a quick reminder that the OpenACTA forum organized by InternetNZ is taking place this Saturday, at the Wellington Town Hall.

I haven't had time to skim through the leaked drafts of ACTA yet. However, the very fact that this treaty, which could impact so negatively on our basic rights of free speech and participation in culture, is being negotiated in secret, and that the internet has allowed us to peek through the iron curtain of secrecy at these drafts, speaks volumes about why internet freedom is important, nay essential, to the emerging global democracy on our planet.

According to the academic commentators on the PublicACTA website, the drafts show the ACTA treaty takes exactly the opposite approach to copyright in the digital era to that taken by CreativeCommons. Where CC offers tools to encourage communication and negotiation between creators and audiences, ACTA offers criminal sanctions for perceived loss of sales, and '3 strikes' style banishment from the internet.

Look forward to seeing some of you on Saturday. Those who can't make it in person, can still participate Second Life style through the website
http://publicacta.org.nz/

Ma te wa
Danyl Strype

--
"A free society is a society where it is safe to be unpopular."
- Adlai E. Stevenson Jr

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and
those who matter don't mind."
- Dr Suess

http://strypey.orconhosting.net.nz/contacts.html

  • [Cc-nz] PublicACTA event this Saturday, Danyl Strype, 04/08/2010