cc-nz - [Cc-nz] [Fwd: Re: Copyright Act 2008 and ACTA]

cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion

  • From: Mark Harris <anarchist AT tracs.co.nz>
  • To: "Creative Commons Aotearoa (NZ)" <cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Cc-nz] [Fwd: Re: Copyright Act 2008 and ACTA]
  • Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2008 12:36:13 +1200

[Sry - sent from the wrong address]
--- Begin Message ---
  • From: Mark Harris <mark AT tracs.co.nz>
  • To: Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion <cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Cc-nz] Copyright Act 2008 and ACTA
  • Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2008 10:11:40 +1200
Pam McKinlay wrote:
In reply to Strypey's BTW . I was wondering if anyone had made submissions on ACTA. Officially they closed in July but there is to be another round of consultation after negotiations conclude in 2009! If you are interested in you can contact George.Wardle AT med.govt.nz <mailto:George.Wardle AT med.govt.nz> with your concerns. This doesn't affect licencing per se but without net neutrality we could all end up singing in the wind anyway. With the Amendments to the Copyright Act 2008 due to take affect in Octboer, I whink we should be making a considered stand for the Fair Use and Education Exemptions we managed to hold on to over that protracted negotiation period. Also from what I read ACTA is acting outside of WIPO and it is a plurilateral not a multilateral treaty proposed - a divide and conquer by stealth number.

Absolutely correct.

Ever use Skype or peer-to-peer networks? Have you Ever excercised your exemptions of Fair USE over any material anywhere on the internet? Here are some other submissions if you don't know why it has potential to be a problem.
<http://acta.lemming-brothers.com/tiki-index.php?page=Completed+Submission>
That's me! ;-) There's also a forum available there if you want to sign up. I'd love to get some discussion going, especially around content creators and their views on copyright in general in the digital age.

Some update from just this week. ACTA was raised in the Internet Debate on Tuesday:

http://www.blakjak.net/node/1073
http://www.linux.net.nz/pipermail/nzlug/2008-September/014123.html

which put the notion that people weren't happy into Cunliffe's head, even though he pretty much toed the party line. And on Wednesday, at the NZ Open Source Awards in Wellington, Cunliffe opened the door a little wider (having been challenged by a few people on this and S92a of the Copyright (New Technologies) Amendment [re ISPs policing copyright on their network]) and invited the advocates to a meeting with him and Tizard sometime in the next 2 weeks. He seemed genuinely surprised at the depth of feeling about both matters, so there may be a chance to influence yet.

Don Christie (NZOSS) and I had a meeting with Judith Tizard and her officials regarding my submission and related matters. It was mainly to wave the flag and to see if we could get any more information released (MED noted 91 documents relevant to my OIA request but released only 13 and most of them were redacted in some way). We were unsuccessful in that, but one point they did raise was that participation in the negotiations did not automatically mean that NZ would sign the final agreement, but that it was better to be inside the tent than out. Those of us still stuck on the outside would tend to agree :-)

Will keep the list posted on progress.

Cheers

Mark Harris

--- End Message ---

  • [Cc-nz] [Fwd: Re: Copyright Act 2008 and ACTA], Mark Harris, 09/25/2008