cc-nz - Re: [Cc-nz] Copyright Act 2008 and ACTA

cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion

  • From: "Pam McKinlay" <PamM AT tekotago.ac.nz>
  • To: "discussion, Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand" <cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Cc-nz] Copyright Act 2008 and ACTA
  • Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2008 09:44:15 +1200

Hi there

In reply to Strypey's BTW . I was wondering if  anyone had made submissions on ACTA. Officially they closed in July but there is to be another round of consultation after negotiations conclude in 2009! If you are interested in you can contact George.Wardle AT med.govt.nz with your concerns. This doesn't affect licencing per se but without net neutrality we could all end up singing in the wind anyway. With the Amendments to the Copyright Act 2008 due to take affect in Octboer, I whink we should be making a considered stand for the Fair Use and Education Exemptions we managed to hold on to over that protracted negotiation period. Also from what I read ACTA is acting outside of WIPO and it is a plurilateral not a multilateral treaty proposed - a divide and conquer by stealth number.

Ever use Skype or peer-to-peer networks?  Have you Ever excercised your exemptions of Fair USE over any material anywhere on the internet? Here are some other submissions if you don't know why it has potential to be a problem.

Pam McKinlay
Project Technician Creative Technologies Group
Otago School of Art
Otago Polytechnic
Dunedin

>>> strypes <strypey AT riseup.net> 26/09/2008 1:39 a.m. >>>
Kia ora koutou

If you post to the forums of cc.org.nz, and tick the box to get email
notification of updates to the topic, the first email you get will
contain this link:
http://www.creativecommons.org.nz/notification/settings

Once you have logged in, you will be able to change a number of
settings, including ticking a box to get future notifications in a
digest, rather than one-by-one. For some reason I can't seem to find a
link to this on the site itself, so I thought I'd share this tip.

RnB
Strypey

--
BTW Fight the 'Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement'!
http://indymedia.org.nz/newswire/display/76066/index.php

"Whether gods exist or not, there is no way to get absolute certainty
about ethics. Without absolute certainty, what do we do? We do the
best we can."
- Richard Stallman
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy

http://www.creativecommons.org.nz
http://www.indymedia.org.nz

  • Re: [Cc-nz] Copyright Act 2008 and ACTA, Pam McKinlay, 09/25/2008