cc-nz - [Cc-nz] List feedback requested

cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion

  • From: strypes <strypey AT riseup.net>
  • To: cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: cc-nz-owner AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Cc-nz] List feedback requested
  • Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2008 05:15:18 +1200

Kia ora koutou

I'd like to apologize for the fact that admin of this list has been a
bit sloppy of late. One of our three admins vanished without a trace,
one moved to the US and got married. As for myself, I've been coping
with a range of distractions from friends of mine getting arrested in
the Operation 8 raids to a family emergency, to spending most of the
last 7 months roaming the country, mostly with very limited internet
access.

There is a proposal to incorporate the role of admin for this list into
the admin job for the creativecommons.org.nz website. Hopefully this
will ensure that matters like people having trouble unsubscribing will
be taken care of more promptly. I will be meeting with Brian Opie next
week to discuss this in more detail. If anyone on the list has any
concerns about this changing of the e-guard, please post them to the
list for discussion.

This cc-nz list was provided for us by the iCommons team and is hosted
on a server run by Ibiblio, a project to build a sort of 'public library
of Earth':
http://ibiblio.org/about.php

The original purpose was to provide a discussion forum for people
interested in the process of getting the CC licenses translated for NZ
law. Now that this goal has been achieved, the next logical step is to
promote the existence of CC to the public of Aotearoa, and encourage the
use of the licenses. The question is, how can this list best be used to
facilitate that work?

Personally I find the information about related topics such as the
visits by Lawrence Lessig and Richard Stallman to be very useful.
However, I'm used to dealing with large volumes of email from national
and global working groups communicating through email lists. For someone
who joins the list to find out why and how they might use CC licenses,
this volume of email may be off-putting.

If anyone has any ideas about how this list could best be used to
advance the cause of the commons, and what groundrules (if any) could
help it do so, please post them to the list. This will our imminent
meeting and future discussions of the list at HRN board meetings.

He mihi mahana ki a koutou
Danyl Strype