cc-nz - Re: [Cc-nz] Video conferencing for CC-NZ

cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion

  • From: Sam Searle <sam.searle AT mcs.vuw.ac.nz>
  • To: Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion <cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Cc-nz] Video conferencing for CC-NZ
  • Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2007 09:56:50 +1300

Thanks to Paul for pointing out the BeSTGRID project and the work they are doing within the research community (universities and CRIs specifically) promoting open tools like Access Grid and EVO for use over the KAREN network.

The website for the emerging community around KAREN and videoconferencing is http://avcc.karen.net.nz.

There is an opportunity to link up various 'nodes' around NZ for events using the universities as a base so that we could make the most of the high bandwidth that KAREN provides. It's worth noting though that tools like Access Grid and EVO really require KAREN, so they wouldn't be ideal for people wanting to come in from work/home via standard broadband. Nevertheless, for getting groups of people together face-to-face at a local level and then linking to the other centres, the tools work really well, so in terms of getting more involvement outside of Wellington this would be one approach. Also there is no technical burden on participants in terms of having to download/install/learn to use software - they just need to turn up!

A list of the available 'nodes' is at http://avcc.karen.net.nz/wiki/Node_Locations - you'll see there is decent coverage across the main centres.

As KAREN is peered with AARNet in Australia, there is also a chance to involve colleagues from Australia in any events/discussions. (And elsewhere overseas too - but the problem with timezones makes it easier with Oz.)

Cheers
Sam

Sam Searle
E-Research Development Coordinator
Room 242, Cotton Building
Victoria University of Wellington
PO Box 600, Wellington 6140, New Zealand
Tel +64 4 463 6613 Fax +64-4-463 5045
E-mail sam.searle AT vuw.ac.nz
Calendar http://www.mcs.vuw.ac.nz/~sam/calendar.html

Ian Thomson wrote:
Hi All,

I am conscious that most of the CC work to date has been Wellington centric.
We do need to be more inclusive and I think KAREN VCs would be a great way to do that.

We face a big challenge to raise awareness of the use and benefits of NZ CC and using these tools would certainly help.

Ian