cc-nz - [Cc-nz] Video conferencing for CC-NZ

cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion

  • From: Danyl Strype <strypey AT riseup.net>
  • To: cc-nz <cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Cc-nz] Video conferencing for CC-NZ
  • Date: Sat, 03 Nov 2007 14:24:11 +1300

Kia ora koutou

I would be very keen to experiment with open source, open standard video conferencing systems. Would be useful for other free culture projects I am involved in too, eg Indymedia.

However, we also have an offer from Sam Searle to use the KAREN high-bandwidth network to have a CC webconference. Is anyone keen on doing this? What would be on the agenda?

RnB
Strypes

Quoting Leigh Blackall <leighblackall AT gmail.com>:

I tried Gizmo about a year ago and while it worked well one to one.. I could
never get the conference feature to work reliably. Haven't tried the others,
thanks for the pointer.

On 10/31/07, adam <adam AT xs4all.nl> wrote:

> Hi Sam. I'm inspired to grow burns myself now :) CC Sideburns :)
>
> I've been looking for a reliable FOSS webconference alternative. I had
> hopes
> for DimDim but it seems to have stalled. I expect Google will announce
web
> conferencing soon (hopefully will be via open standard). We (Otago
> Polytechnic) use Elluminate for webconferencing.. we could possibly use
> that
> sometimes.. and there's SecondLife - to follow CC.orgs lead for a bit
> there...

gizmo (http://gizmoproject.com/) ? openwengo(http://openwengo.com/)?
..linphone or ekiga and asterisk if you are real keen...

adam

> On 10/30/07, Sam Stephens <sam AT postmoderncore.com> wrote:
>>
>> Great idea, except Skype is a proprietry/closed platform. I'm sure
>> there's a free/open alternative we could use instead.
>>
>> Nice to meet you briefly Leigh - I was the guy with the sideburns who
>> said hi at the end shortly before you left.
>>
>> On 30/10/2007 8:41 a.m., Leigh Blackall wrote:
>> > At the launch, a colleague in NL was having trouble picking up the
>> > videostream. He was getting the video but not the audio. I was
sending
>> > the audio via skype through my laptop, which was a great experience
>> for
>> > us as we were txting me links as the people were talking. May I
>> propose
>> > Skypecast.com <http://Skypecast.com> next time we have an event?
Links
>> > relating to that skype chat were saved at
>> > http://del.icio.us/leighblackall/ccnz

>> Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand
>> http://www.creativecommons.org.nz/
>>

> --
> --
> Leigh Blackall
> +64(0)21736539
> skype - leigh_blackall
> http://learnonline.wordpress.com
> Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand
> http://www.creativecommons.org.nz/

Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand
http://www.creativecommons.org.nz/

Leigh Blackall
+64(0)21736539
skype - leigh_blackall
SL - Leroy Goalpost
http://learnonline.wordpress.com

--

http://strypey.orcon.net.nz/
"History's a lie that they teach you in school" - Living Color