cc-nz - Re: [Cc-nz] cc-nz Digest, Vol 20, Issue 4

cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion

  • From: "Hamish MacEwan" <hamish.macewan AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion" <cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Cc-nz] cc-nz Digest, Vol 20, Issue 4
  • Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 13:55:40 +1200

On 9/18/07, Sam Searle <sam.searle AT mcs.vuw.ac.nz> wrote:

> Trends internationally are for policy agencies and funders to make open
> access to publicly-funded research datasets mandatory.

Hear hear!

We paid for it and we should benefit from it, by our own actions if we
wish not to rely on the usual suspects to produce outputs we require.

In fact I would extend this further, Creative NZ, RNZ and various
others might be more generous with material tax payers have funded.

> I'm not sure about Stats, LINZ - it would be interesting to know if they
> are heading in this direction.

"The Minister of Statistics, Hon Clayton Cosgrove, announced in May
2007 that a large range of Statistics New Zealand data and products
will progressively be made freely available during 2007 and 2008.

Budget 2007 allocated $6 million in operating funding over the next
four years, plus $2.7 million in capital funding for 2007/08, to make
around 250 million pieces of statistical information freely available.
This information will be valuable for businesses, local government,
communities and the public.

http://www.stats.govt.nz/about-us/making-more-information-free/default.htm

As for tools, I'm not sure that's a critical issue. I don't have
in-depth knowledge of these, but unless there is some severe
limitation on dataset sizes, people have a range to choose from:

IBM's Many Eyes

http://services.alphaworks.ibm.com/manyeyes/page/About_Many_Eyes.html

Dabble

http://dabbledb.com/

Swivel

http://www.swivel.com/tour/intro

Given that many of these WWW based SaaS ("Software as a Service")
solutions have been built in the era of collaboration, they feature by
default many Web 2.0 social networking and collaborative features.

It would seem wasteful and futile to build replicas, particularly
since it would be serving a very small market in NZ. Rather like a
State operated GMail. Give us the data and get out of the way should
be the role of the producer, another structural separation instead of
building (one per agency/data-type/nation) local silos.

After all, the CC itself is only barely, one hopes, customised for local
custom.

> Sam

Hamish.
--