cc-nz - Re: [Cc-nz] Draft licence for consultation

cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion

  • From: "Leigh Blackall" <leighblackall AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion" <cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Cc-nz] Draft licence for consultation
  • Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2007 08:29:45 +1000

Good question regarding a NZ version of the Public Domain license. In education recently, there has been wide discussion in Wikieducator.org and through Edublogs about the need to use PD. However, lack of clarity on the workability of PD in other areas remains a problem. I realise PD is not a commons license, but is it possible to use this NZ project as a way to align NZ with PD intentions?

Leigh Blackall
Otago Polytechnic
ps. Did anyone pick up the news that Otago Polytechnic as adopted a CC By license over their educational resources? It is in their new IP policy. Forth last paragraph of clipping.

On 8/31/07, Paul Murrell <paul AT stat.auckland.ac.nz> wrote:
Hi

Brian Opie wrote:
> Kia ora list members
>
> In case you havenʻt already come across this information, here is the
> address for the consultation page which contains the first draft Creative
> Commons NZ by-nc-sa  v.3 licence.
>
> http://creativecommons.org/worldwide/nz/

Thanks Brian.  I saw the call for discussion, but did note a lack of
anything to discuss :)

Not being a lawyer, I have grave doubts about my ability to contribute
much to the discussion, but I have one layman's query on the draft ...

--
Dr Paul Murrell
Department of Statistics

1.  In the "You must" part of section 2.1, the third item starts with
"not".  Is there a good reason why this is here and not in the "You must
not" part?

... and a general question that I asked a while back in case any more
information has come to light ...

3.  Will there be a NZ equivalent of the CC Public Domain dedications?
(does the US version already work for NZ?)

Paul