cc-nz - Re: [Cc-nz] Draft licence for consultation

cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion

  • From: "Rick Shera" <RJS AT lojo.co.nz>
  • To: "Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion" <cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Cc-nz] Draft licence for consultation
  • Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 12:54:03 +1200

Hi all,

My name is Rick Shera. I am a partner at Lowndes Jordan, a corporate,
commercial and ICT law firm based in Auckland city. I have also had a fair
amount of involvement with InternetNZ (www.internetnz.net.nz) (including,
most recently, preparing InternetNZ's submissions on the NZ Copyright (New
Technologies and Performers' Rights) Amendment Bill) and am current chair of
NetSafe - the Internet Safety Group (www.netsafe.co.nz).

Congratulations on getting this project off the ground. It will be good to
see New Zealand join the ranks.

Can I ask a few questions:

1. Is there any particular timeframe within which the licence needs to be
finalised?

2. On a quick look at the draft, some of the changes appear to modify the UK
& Wales defined terms themselves whilst leaving their definitions the same.
The objective may have been to use terms which are more commonly used here in
New Zealand (for example, Adaptation instead of Derivative Work) and, as a
New Zealand lawyer, that gives me a certain amount of comfort through
familiarity. My question though is how does this fit with Catharina
Maracke's admonition in her post to this list of 26 August "... to make the
least amount of changes necessary to bring the license into accord with New
Zealand law." I may have missed changes in the definitions, but, if they are
the same as the UK & Wales version, does it matter that we use the same
terminology as them, when doing so makes the licence more generic for
international licensors into New Zealand?

3. Other changes appear to include more extensive exclusions of liability.
Do these stem from CC licenses used in other jurisdictions or is New Zealand
more concerned at potential liability for some reason?

4. Is a concurrent work program for the other forms of CC licence envisaged
or are they to be drafted later?

Regards,

Rick Shera
cell: +64 21 612 713

***NOTE***
The information in this message and any attachments is confidential to the
intended recipient(s) (not to be forwarded). Views expressed are those of
Rick Shera personally and not anyone else.