cc-nz - Re: [Cc-nz] Aotearoa/ New Zealand site for Creative Commons

cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion

  • From: strypey AT riseup.net
  • To: Christiane Asschenfeldt <christiane AT creativecommons.org>
  • Cc: cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Cc-nz] Aotearoa/ New Zealand site for Creative Commons
  • Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2006 22:52:53 +1200

Kia ora Christiane

We had a fantastic meeting in early August hosted by the National Library and organised by people who have been NZ reps at the Global Summit on the Information Society. I went to the meeting which was also attended by a range of people representing a number of government departments, the internet society and other interest groups.

We had a lawyer at the meeting who said his initial opinion based on looking at the US and Ozzie licenses was that it would be a fairly quick and easy job. He was going to get the legal department at Victoria University here in Poneke (Wellington) on board. The group I have been bringing together has take on the task of the creativecommoNZ portal and others have take on tasks to do with community outreach and investigating organisational issues.

The group consensus was to aim to have draft licenses, portal version 0.1 and a plan for organisational options ready for a public consultation excercise in Nov of this year. One issue that came up is the Project Lead/ Institution. A number of possibilities were suggested at the meeting including the Internet Society of NZ, the legal department of Vic Uni, the Council of Humanities and the National Library. In order to decide which (if any) of these is most appropriate we need some more information about what you want in a Project Lead/ Institution.

Quoting Christiane Asschenfeldt <christiane AT creativecommons.org>:
We could offer hosting, subdomain, email list but no legal expertise
from New Zealand of course. There is no NZ project yet.

The cc-nz email list has been gradually attracting interest, thanks for providing this. Could you give us some more information about the hosting options? How much space can you give us? Can you give us access to PHP, Perl, SQL etc? Once we know what resources are available we can make some decisions on what CMS software to use and start putting the a test version of the portal together.

One of our volunteers Adam has registered http://CreativeCommons.org.nz and set up a test page (hope this is ok). Once our project is an official part of iCommons I think it would be good to have aotearoa.creativecommons.org and nz.creativecommons.org pointed at our portal also.

If there is anything else we need to know or anything you need to know about what we're up to please feel free to ask. I'm really pleased with the progress we've made so far and the interest that's being shown in the licenses and I have high hopes for a rapid development process through the next few months.

RnB
Danyl Strype

  • Re: [Cc-nz] Aotearoa/ New Zealand site for Creative Commons, strypey, 09/06/2006