cc-metadata - Re: [cc-metadata] under a Creative Commons license

cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work

  • From: Mike Linksvayer <ml AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work <cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-metadata] under a Creative Commons license
  • Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2007 10:00:56 -0800

Evan Prodromou wrote:
It's good that that objection has finally been resolved, but I have a
new one. The generated text now says something along the lines of:

Work X by Author Y is licensed under a Creative Commons
Attribution 2.5 Canada License.
I'm not sure the indefinite article is appropriate here. "Creative
Commons Attribution 2.5 Canada License" names one and only one thing,
and in English we use "the" in such cases. So maybe this would be less
weird-sounding:

Work X by Author Y is licensed under _the_ Creative Commons
Attribution 2.5 Canada License.

It's not a big deal (definitely not vital!), but it does read better.

You're right. We'll update.

P.S. If we were going to go all crazy with the wordsmithery, we might
also try to find a way not to use the word "license" twice in the same
sentence.

What do you suggest for the verb? Released? Published? Offered? Just "is under"?

(Should this be on cc-community?)

Thanks!
Mike